Mistral 700 WG
A selective herbicide for the control of grass weeds and broad leaf weeds in sugarcane and horticultural crops
Mistral 700 WG is a water dispersable granule herbicide for the control of annual broad leaf weeds and grasses in such crops as potatoes, tomatoes, barley, sugarcane and lucerne.
Half fill spray tank with clean water. Pre-mix the required volume Mistral 700 WG with a small amount of water until all the granules are dissolved. Add to the spray or mixing tank while agitating the spray solution. Fill the tank to capacity while agitation is continued. If Mistral 700 WG is mixed with another chemical the label instructions should be followed.
It is important that the spray mixture is kept in suspension during the mixing and application processes by thorough and continuous agitation.
Mistral 700 WG can be applied by any suitable medium or high volume spray apparatus provided it is equipped with an efficient agitation system, it is able to distribute the spray solution evenly over the target area and it is calibrated correctly. It is recommended that Mistral 700 WG is applied in 200 - 300L of water per ha and that suitable flat fan nozzles are used.
Application can be made pre-emergence or early post-emergence to weeds not taller than 3-5 cm. Rain or irrigation of 15 - 20 mm at 5 - 10 days after application is necessary to leach the Mistral 700 WG into the soil in order to obtain the full benefit of the residual action.
Aerial application of Mistral 700 WG may only be done by a registered Aerial Application Operator using a correctly calibrated registered aircraft according to the instructions of SANS Code 10118 (Aerial Application of Agricultural Pesticides). Ensure that the spray mixture is distributed evenly over the target area and that the loss of spray material during application is restricted to a minimum. It is therefore essential that the following criteria be met:
• Volume: A minimum spray volume of 30L per ha is recommended. As the product has not been evaluated at a reduced volume rate the registration holder can not guarantee efficacy, or be held responsible for any adverse effects if this product is applied aerially at a lower volume rate than recommended
• Droplet coverage: 30 - 40 droplets per cm2 must be recovered at the target area
• Droplet size: A droplet with a VMD of 350 - 450 micron is recommended. Limit the production of fine droplets less than 150 microns (high drift and evaporation potential) to a minimum.
• Flying height: Maintain the height of the spray boom 3-4 metres above the target. Do not spray when the aircraft dives, banks or is in a climb.
• Use suitable atomising equipment that will produce the desired droplet size and coverage, but which will ensure the minimum loss of product. The spraying system must produce a droplet spectrum with the lowest Relative Span.
• Position all atomisers within the inner 60 - 75 % of the wing span to prevent droplets from entering the wingtip vortices
• The differences in temperature between the wet and dry bulb thermometers of a whirling hygrometer should not exceed 8°C
• Stop spraying if the wind speed exceeds 15 km / h
• Stop spraying under turbulent unstable and dry conditions during the heat of the day
• Spraying under temperature inversion conditions (spraying in or above the inversion layer) and / or high humidity conditions (relative humidity 80 % and above) may lead to the following:
a) Reduced efficacy due to suspension and evaporation of small droplets in the air (inadequate coverage)
b) Damage to other sensitive crops and / or non-target areas through drifting of the suspended spray cloud away from the target field
c) Ensure that the Aerial Spray Operator knows exactly which fields to spray
• Obtain an assurance from the Aerial Spray Operator that the above requirements will be met and that relevant data will be compiled in a logbook and kept for future reference.
• Do not plant any crop, except potatoes and sugar cane, within a period of six months after a Mistral 700 WG application.
• Crops such as asparagus, beetroot, carrots, maize, soya beans and turnips may be planted 6 months after Mistral 700 WG has been applied.
• A period of 12 months should lapse between application of Mistral 700 WG and planting of crops such as brassicas, cucurbits, onions, peas, beans, wheat, tobacco, strawberries etc.
• The above mentioned waiting periods can increase if Mistral 700 WG is applied to brackish soils or soils with a pH more than 7.
• Prior to planting and application of a subsequent crop, a deep and thorough ploughing operation (not less than 20 cm deep) should take place and a firm, fine, even seedbed without excessive plant rests should be prepared.
• Do not use Mistral 700 WG on poorly drained soils or soils with a compaction layer as these conditions might cause waterlogging which can lead to crop injury.
Do not use Mistral 700 WG in winter grown potatoes or in areas where untimely frost might occur. Cold spells after a Mistral 700 WG application may cause crop injury and stunting of potato plants. There may also be differences in susceptibility to phytotoxicity between the various varieties. Under unfavourable growing conditions, the varieties Astrid, BP 1, Earliest of All, Koos Smit and Late Harvest will be more susceptible to damage.
Good quality potato seed without any disease should be used. Plants from seed of 60 g and smaller are more prone to crop damage.
Too early ridging or disturbance of soil after application may stimulate germination of weeds as well as causing a shift of the treated soil on the plant row resulting in a higher concentration of Mistral 700 WG on the row which can lead to phytotoxicity. It is recommended that a period of six weeks should lapse between application of Mistral 700 WG and ridging of potatoes or that application should take place after ridging and before emergence.
Mistral 700 WG should only be applied to established lucerne, i.e. at least one year old. Apply after cutting or grazing before the lucerne starts to grow actively. Some chlorosis might appear on the lucerne but it will disappear within a short while and have no effect on the yield. Do not apply Mistral 700 WG in lucerne grown on alkaline soils (pH > 7), soil with mineral deficiencies or where waterlogging can occur. Use Mistral 700 WG only on the cultivars CUF 101, Grananda and SA. Standard.
• Do not apply Mistral 700 WG in combination with any of the post-emergence grass herbicides or within 7 days before or after application thereof.
• Do not apply Mistral 700 WG in combination with any Bromoxynil formulation in barley.
• Control of Emex australis might be variable if it exceeds the two-leaf stage at application.
• Slight chlorosis of the crop might appear after application, but this symptom will disappear and will not have any effect on the yield.
• Apply Mistral 700 WG as a directed spray in transplanted tomatoes at least 14 days after transplantation. Do not spray over the tomato plants.
• Cold, wet conditions after application might cause leaf damage and stunting.
Mistral 700 WG is compatible with DIUREX 800 SC, DIUREX 800 WG, AMETREX 500 SC, AMETREX 800 WG, PARAQUAT 200 SL and ALANEX 480 CS. The quality of the dilution water can vary from farm to farm and from year to year, therefore a physical compatibility test should be carried out prior to mixing products. The restrictions on the labels of the products with which Mistral 700 WG is mixed should be adhered to.
Lucerne - 25 days.
Barley -120 days.
• Harmful if swallowed
• Toxic to aquatic organisms
• Store in a cool dry place away from food, feed, fertilizer and other agricultural products
• Keep out of reach of children, uninformed persons and animals
• Aerial application: Notify all the inhabitants in the immediate vicinity of the area to be sprayed and issue the necessary warnings. Do not spray over or allow drift to contaminate adjacent areas, water or any other area that is not under treatment.
• Do not inhale fumes or spray mist
• Wear rubber gloves and face shield when handling the concentrate
• Avoid skin and eye contact. Wash with soap and water after accidental skin contact. Flush out eyes with clean running water after accidental eye contact. Wash contaminated clothing with water and soap
• Do not eat, drink or smoke while mixing or applying or before hands and face are washed
• Prevent contamination of food, feed, drinking water and eating utensils
• Avoid drift of spray to other crops, grazing, rivers, dams or any other area that is not under treatment
• Destroy the empty container and do not re-use for any other purpose
• Clean the applicator after use. Dispose of the rinsate where it will not contaminate crops, grazing, rivers, dams and boreholes.